Located just thirty minutes north of Macon, Dauset Trails offers a day of outdoor fun and learning. They have animals, hiking and biking trails, a picnic area, and best of all, it’s FREE!! Here are some of the activities and areas they offer year-round.
- Animal Trail: The Animal Trail features animals that have been wounded or orphaned and cannot be released into the wild. You can see coyote, black bear, river otter, bison, and many, many others. You can see a complete list on the Animal Trail link.
- Wonder Room: In the Wonder Room, you can see fish, snakes, turtles, and alligators.
- Farm Animals: At this 19th century style farm, you can see goats, cows, chickens, and a donkey.
- Hike and Bike: Dauset Trails offers over 17 miles of hiking and biking trails for all skill levels.
- Horse Trails: You can bring your own horse and ride ten miles of horse trails.
- Woodland Garden: You can stroll the garden and see many types of flowers and trees, do a Pleasure Hunt, and check out the Children’s Garden.
- Picnic Area: Here you will find picnic tables, grills, and restroom facilities.
Another nice feature of Dauset Trails is that it is very shady which makes it the perfect outing during the summer. We took the boys a few years back when they were 4 and 2 years old, and I found it to be very relaxing. The boys enjoyed seeing the animals, being outdoors, and just exploring somewhere new. It’s a small enough place that we were able to see everything without everyone getting tired out. Of course, we didn’t do the hiking or biking, but that does offer a whole new adventure when we return.
I hope you will take advantage of this “Day Trip” and just enjoy spending time together.
Dauset Trails Information
- Monday – Friday: 9:00 – 5:00
- Saturday: 9:00 – 7:00
- Sunday: 12:00 – 5:00
ContactDauset Trails Nature Center 360 Mt. Vernon Church Road Jackson, GA 30233 (770) 775-6798 (Special thanks to Kristine for the info and to Darren for the pictures)